Friday 17 August 2012

Healthy Home Cooking ;)

I didn't think it was entirely possible. I know there are thousands of "healthy" recipes and cookbooks out there, but I've always found them to actually be kind of heavy meals, like I'd gain weight if I ate them all the time. The problem with eating light meals constantly is obviously the binge eating it causes, as well as the boredom.

Everything I read says, convenience! Oh this only takes 5 minutes, 10 minutes.. woah 15 minutes, thats ridiculous! Well personally, I like to apply a little bit of time to cooking, I enjoy it, but the foods I really enjoy cooking don't fit in with my diet (I'm an italian lover, god save me), and so I haven't had that little bit of therapy, without the guilt, for a long time, which really does contribute to my regular cracking on the diet. A lot of the time it isn't the food I'm after so much as the cooking.

So there I was on my yoga mat doing my stretching on the lounge room floor, when I looked up to realize the remote was not in reach and my show had ended. Sitting in something similar to an upside down pretzel, I figured it would be easier to just weather whatever came on, cue Jamie Oliver and the fabulous idea he gave me.

All I saw was an egg wrapped in glad-wrap (clingfilm), tied off in a knot, and boiled as such and Bam! I saw potential!

1 egg, with the yoke, may have a little bit of fat but that's actually a good thing if you work out- You want to train your body to use fat as a source of energy, to do this you'll have to eat some as well. If you eat little to no fat then your body will cling to all the fat it already has, make sense?

With a few alterations I've made this recipe quick, easy and full of flavour!




Egg Balls

What you'll need:

1-2 eggs (any kind)

Herbs of your choice (Fresh or dry, don't be afraid to experiment!)

  • I used chopped fresh chives. As well as dry basil and lemon pepper. 
Veges (Any, its really up to you, but whatever you choose, pile it high!)
  • I went for chopped spinach and tomatoes
+ A bowl and Glad-Wrap

I know most people associate egg's with cheese and oil, but this recipe requires neither! The balls hold their shape fine without any added oils. 

What to do:

•  Lay a piece of glad-wrap inside of the bowl, with enough hang over to tie it off. Place your egg in the glad-wrap bowl. 
•  Chop up your veges (and herbs if you used fresh). 














Cover the egg in veges and herbs. Avoid breaking the 
yoke if you like it whole or 
sunny-side style. 



•  Lift the Glad-Wrap away from the bowl, twist to remove most of the air and tie off.
•  Place your egg balls into a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes, over ten minutes will cook the yoke through, while 8-10 minutes will keep it soft and runny.
•  Once cooked, using scissors, cut the knot off of each ball and unpeel the Glad-Wrap.












And Serve!

These are just fine on their own and depending on what you added can be very, very flavourful!

Enjoy!



Note

* Nutritionally Speaking, these are very light, and can work as either a snack or 2 for a meal (Breakfast, lunch or dinner). They're especially good if you're looking for something low-sugar.

* Experiment with your add-ins, particularly the herbs and don't be afraid to use veges you've never tried- They're what gives it the most substance.

* and before you say it, no, the Glad-Wrap won't melt when you boil it, I was a little worried too!


Eat Clean, Exercise and Moisturise!
Good Luck!

Rosie.x













No comments:

Post a Comment